The Emergency for 21 months between 1975-1977 brought in massive changes in the dynamics of the country.
Here we have a few rare moments from the archive.
- The final word was always the woman seated with her rightful power, Indira Gandhi.
2. The then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on the official press release of the declaration of the Emergency.
3. Soon after the Emergency was declared, leading opposition parties were banned and the leaders were jailed. A snippet of the news on the Indian Herald.
4. Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Narayan getting lathi attacks and badly beaten by the police at one of the many protests.
5. The present Prime Minister Narendra Modi, an opposition had to find a disguise for himself.
6. Another BJP leader Subramaniam Swami also had to go undercover and sought for disguise.
7. The establishments and residential area getting near Jama Masjid getting demolished.
8. Press was censored forcefully. The Hindu and All India Radio were major news providers of that time. They were strictly put under check to make sure no revolting or subliminal messages to excite people were not released.
9. However, an English weekly newspaper, Himmat justified the name as it continued to oppose the entire national situation.
10. Communists and other intellectuals were strongly disheartened and personality like Safdar Hashmi strongly opposed her.
11. This very picture of George Fernandes was the needful call of action and strong evidence of the Emergency.
12. Sanjay Gandhi was under pressure to force people to undergo a vasectomy.
13. Aandhi, one of Suchitra Sen’s finest works was stopped from getting its release due to its political backdrop. It was released after the Emergency was over.
14. Kissaa Kursee Ka, yet another movie with political satire and anecdotes was also banned.
Do you think the Emergency was needed?
Share your thoughts!